Decking Calculator

I wanted to work out how much our decking would need to cost and came across a great forum post from the Homeone forums by Adrian B.  I also read up about decking via the Mitre10 DIY decking project sheets.

From there I build a spreadsheet to do the calculations on number of posts, number of bearers, joists etc I would need for a deck.

Note that this assumes the decking is going on posts and is not going on a concrete slab.  For a concrete slab I would assume we would need to Dynabolt some joists down somehow and then just put the decking on that?  Or build a box frame (like a ring beam?) and then put some more cross joists and then put the decking on top?  Anyway that should now be a simple calculation.

For anyone out there that wants to use this calculator all dimensions are metric (ie mm or metres) and I've used mainly Bunnings as my basis for prices.  Just because I could find all the prices in the one spot.

The calculator is in a Google Doc Sheet (Spreadsheet) and I haven't protected anything but it is read only.  Just make your own copy to put your own details in.  I've highlighted the fields where you should put in your own values.  It's a bit rough but thought it maybe useful to others.

You can find it here.

Comments

Popular