Renovators' Theme park (Heritage Building Centre)

I've been searching for second hand building materials.  Not for anything super exciting but just little things that will help us.  I was thinking maybe some old light fittings could be reused as we're after an older look anyway.  So I've been meaning to go to the recycled building yard found on West Botany Street in Rockdale.  You could say it was on a bucket list.

So today we went.  The intention to look for the lights and maybe things like a door knocker or any other quirky decoration pieces we may come across.

All I can say is WOW.  The Heritage Building Centre was a renovators' theme park.  Some amazing pieces there.  Gargoyles, tables, doors, more doors, windows, amazing gates etc.  If you have some spare time and are into this type of stuff I'd suggest you go.  It made my mind bounce around with possibilities, although the pricing is a bit on the high side.

On entry to the 'yard' there is an amazing building on the right hand side that is clad in timber and invites you in.
Inside the building above are a some amazing timber pieces and recycled floor samples and doors.

Stairs to furniture and lighting showroom
I found an amazing table which is 3m long.  That is long enough to fit the seats we have 4 per side with lots of room to spare!  But the price tag is a bit prohibitive...
Gorgeous table
 Maybe we can do something like this mirror stand.  I think this was less than $250...
Mirror umbrella stand

Albany coach light.  A bit much?
 There were new lights for sale -- makes it easy for us to see a bunch in the same place.
More coach light options
If we have the right space this mirror could be a nice feature.  It'll have to be something we look at after we move in
Arched mirror 
 The gargoyles they had were very scary looking. I think I like mine a bit friendlier.  Here's one that tried to be friendly at a wishing well.  Love it how they named him.  (Are all gargoyles male?)
Ask Morgan for a wish!
 The yard is organised quite well and is a bit of a treasure trove as you can see in the below photos!
It's hard to know what to look at first!

LOVE these doors and gates.  No way would it fit anywhere for us.

Recycled timbers

Windows

I found a couple of pieces I really liked!!  If they would only fit and were the right price.  I took photos of them so I could ask the salesperson.  Hmm.  it would have been so different when phones didn't have cameras (or before the advent of the smart phone).  

Here are some amazing gate doors.. no glass in them to seal them up but they have a mechanism to open and shut the 'clear' bits to let air flow through.  Want to take a guess at the price tag?  (it had fallen off but I asked for it).

Amazing old timber doors/gates

Twelve and a half.  Twelve and a half???  As in $12,500.  OMG!  OK.... so what about some other doors I liked the look of.  That would need to be combined together with two pieces.  You can see one piece here the other one is behind the one in front.  They are around 610 and 670mm wide each.

Leadlight doors
$1800.  Oh yes.  I think I'll just go back to the new range thank you very much.  I am happy to be faux fixtures.  

Something from Corithian or Doors Plus will be enough down the track... (the current door will look way too modern):
Corithian have a nice lead light range
Doors plus has a nice one too

We also wandered over to the Salvos (as we had parked in their car park).  I managed to pick up a little piggy bank (pink traditional shaped one) for $2 and a brand new $1 handbag (bargain!).  W picked up a Richard Branson biography book for $3 and 4 CDs ($8 for 4)

I also saw this cute and chunky looking telephone stand which I thought would be great for the porch... if only we had a porch wide enough! I think it was only $45.  I really need to haunt the bigger Salvos more!

Telephone table



Comments

Popular