No Mow Korean Grass - how quickly it grows

I love my Korean No Mow Grass.  The official term is Zoysia tenuifolia.  You would have seen previous posts about the grass but it's always hard to see what is happening over time in a blog so I thought I'd put it all in the one place with some dates attached.

I bought the grass in little plugs from Bluedale Plants online.  I bought a 4 x 49 plug packs for just under $200 (it was something like $199.80 including shipping) in November 2015.  Here's a link to the product page if anyone is looking to doing something similar: https://theplanthub.com.au/lawn-and-lawn-alternatives/no-mow-zoysia-grass.php

Just over a year on, the grass looks fabulous!


It started as the plug packs.  And we put them in in November.  When it was hot and probably not the best time to do this!  We planted them at approx 30 cm centres (ie 30 centimeters apart).

We started planting them on 4 November 2015.

2 x 49 plug packs in the picture
 A few days later on 7 November we can see it's not that much progressed...
Planted in a regular pattern

Each 'plug' is fairly small as you can see
In a couple of month's time (26 Jan 2016) they have grown a bit bigger and wider:

January 2016
 Early March they are spreading out more.

7 March 2016

The Korean No Mow grass is looking a bit too regularly spaced...
It did get me concerned that I planted them too regularly (in a grid) and it would look very silly...

12 March 2016

22 May 2016

22 May 2016

By September we have almost full coverage of the Korean No Mow Grass.
17 September 2016

Almost full coverage

About 1 year on it's almost perfectly grown!  It's full and has covered the space.  And my concerns about the 'regular' spacing is unfounded.  It looks great.
6 November 2016
 But with the heat of spring, we have a heap of onion weed and clover like weeds throughout my grass :(

Onion weeds :(

Other visitor!
December 2016 I'm making a concerted effort in eradicating the weeds...
Still some weeds but mostly the zoysia tenuifolio is the dominant grass

Weeds pretty much conquered!  
 I love my pettable grass.  It's cool, low maintenance (other than the weeds) and as you can see irrigation has been installed which makes it super easy to maintain now.  The question has been asked about trimming the grass.  Hmmm maybe I have to start looking to doing that or removing some to other locations.
12 January 2017
The leaves you see in the last photo are from some bamboo plants we still have floating around.  Easy enough to rake through with my hand (when I am petting my grass!) to throw them into a pot for mulch.

Comments

Popular